2.15.2015

A beautiful day in the neighborhood

A pack of boys came to the door for water on a hot, hot day and as they pass around the cup of refrigerated water, we get to chit chat, laugh and talk about France, where they think we are from, because we're white!  They commented on the snow that falls there, and one tried to tell about the time he went to France- the others quickly called him a liar and changed the subject!

Eventually they pulled Valentines and fake flowers out of their backpack (one kid was hauling all the loot for the 5 other boys- who had no backpacks) in honor of St. Valentine… courtesy of their catholic school!

I'm trying to understand the cultural implications of each of these conversations with my neighbors, learning how they relate to each other, what they expect of a neighbor, and searching out our spot among them!

My favorite neighbor is Aisha- she's three months old- and an absolute dollie!
The little ones aren't scared of us yet, so it's great to get to interact and bless their moms with a little time without 10 pounds of body heat strapped to their backs as they haul wood, cook food, hand wash laundry, sweep the courtyard, etc.


After loving on Aisha, her mama took the opportunity to offer some fashion advice…

I was wearing a red and white skirt with a black top, and was informed that it just didn't work... I should wear a shirt that is the same color as my skirt.  Even in extreme poverty, we are to dress our best, wear decent shoes and keep our clothes clean and pressed- we definitely didn't expect that!! I thanked her for her help, told her that there is no chance of me wearing a white shirt in Burkina, and went on my merry, unfashionable way!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

We look forward to hearing from you!